This group of 6-8th grade refugee girls meets every Wednesday from 3-4:15 pm. It's a group of girls primarily from Iraq and a few other Middle Eastern countries. You can be a positive presence in the life a girl refugee in Lincoln! The Girl Scout Refugee Program provides leadership opportunities to girls from refugee communities in Lincoln in the afterschool setting. Volunteers will spend 1 hour and 15 minutes at the school leading the group weekly and getting to know the girls, and around 30-45 minutes per week planning activities. Volunteers will help plan activities based on the interests of the girls and Girl Scout outcomes. Girl Scouts pays for all supplies and curriculum needed for the group. Volunteers will be required to take a background check, and are required to attend a 1.5 hour training. The ideal volunteer has the following characteristics:
- Patient, especially with girls that are still learning English and may speak other languages around each other.
- Flexible and able to change tactics or activities if it's not going as planned.
- Respectful of all people, no matter their race or religion or ability or age.
- Personally reliable and good time management skills so you're able to commit to attending and leading the group weekly without interruption.
- Willing to learn new things, get to know the girls, build their leadership ability, and be a positive, uplifting, accepting, and encouraging presence in the girls' lives.
*Please note, this site needs 2-3 volunteers to volunteer each week. Not 30 volunteers total! :)