This event has ended. Click Here to see more upcoming events from Make A Difference 2020!
|Positions||0 Open Positions Remaining (see below)|
|Approval||Organizer will approve registrants|
|Close Date||24 hours before the event ends or when space runs out.|
|Shared With||Old Dominion University|
|Age Limit||18 and up|
Are you the kind of person that enjoys helping young people discover the wonders of our world; seeing how things work, and how they fit in to what's going on around them?
Our goal is to promote and generate an interest in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM) fields by providing enrichment through hands-on experiments and projects for low-income students age 8-13.
Instructors are responsible for leading our after school STEM programs. Instructors run a weekly STEM Club session at a Portsmouth Redevelopment & Housing Authority community center. During the class, instructors lead demonstrations and hands-on experiments.
* Facilitate an informal STEM program based upon training and materials provided.
* Have all materials and supplies prepped and ready for classroom use.
* Engage with children to answer questions and develop a higher level of STEM terms and concepts.
* Attend mandatory training programs before the start of each 5 week club.
* Keep children safe and use all necessary precautions.
* Develop a rapport with the students and parents. Requirements:
* A strong desire for working with elementary and middle school students in a group setting.
* Outgoing and friendly personality.
* Reliable and punctual.
* Cooperative Team Player.
* Access to reliable transportation
* Basic appreciation of general science terms and concepts.
* Available to teach at least one club per week in the after school hours.
* Basic computer skills including emails and website management.
* Submit to a federal background check.
Make A Difference 2020 provides:
* Volunteer Orientation and professional development opportunities
* All program materials, curriculum, and supplies.
* Great experience for aspiring teachers!!!
* Chance to work with eager, bright children.
* Additional opportunities to work at events and assemblies.
|Causes||Children & Youth Community Computers & Technology Education & Literacy General Service Male Issues Sports & Recreation|
|Skills||Artistic Help Arts and Crafts Child Care Coaching Computer Troubleshooting Construction Design ESL Instructing Event Planning First Aid / CPR Help w/People Job Readiness Learning/Education Math Skills Mentoring Multimedia Recreational Activities Teaching Technology Tutoring Writing|