This event has been cancelled.
|Approval||Organizer will approve registrants|
|Registration Closes||Jan 1, 2015 12:00am or when space runs out.|
|Age Limit||18 and up|
Community Tax Centers provide free income tax preparation services to Austin’s low-income families. By helping people file their taxes and claim all of the tax credits for which they are eligible, volunteers can give many of the working poor in our community a chance to build a financial future. Volunteers helped put $35 million back into the pockets of our community last tax season. We need you for the 2015 season! With your help, we're excited to serve over 20,000 families this coming year. No previous tax experience is necessary!
Volunteer Tax Preparer responsibilities:
• Complete required tax training – up to 12 hours for new volunteers
• Complete IRS Volunteer Tax Preparer certification test
• Work directly with families who need help preparing tax returns• Walk clients through the process of filing their taxes and prepare their tax returns by entering data into TaxWise software
Volunteers can choose from two different levels of commitment during tax season:
• Condensed Tax Season: This option requires a volunteer commitment of 30 hours between January 13th and February 23rd (~5 hours/week). During this time our tax centers are the busiest and we need as many volunteers as possible. After February 23rd, volunteers are encouraged to volunteer for the remainder of tax season. • Full Tax Season: This option requires a total volunteer commitment of ~40 hours from January 14th to April 15th (averaging ~ 3 hours/per week).
Volunteer Tax Preparers should be comfortable:
• Using Windows-based software
• Working with people from all walks of life• Volunteering in a fast-paced environment
• Learn how to prepare taxes – including your own!
• 5 Convenient tax center locations that offer daytime, evening, and weekend shifts
• Flexible scheduling: Volunteers create their own schedules
• Resources at each tax center to answer any questions • Hands-on real life experience
Training:All new volunteers will need to attend up to 12 hours of volunteer training. Training sessions are held between November and January. Training covers the basics of tax law and the TaxWise software we use at the Community Tax Centers. At the end of training, volunteers will be familiar with the 1040 tax form, know how to determine filing status and dependents, and understand income, tax deductions, and tax credits.
For more information or to sign up please visit our website at www.foundcom.org and click on “Get Involved” or contact Jackie.Blair@foundcom.org or 512-610-7377
0 Positions Filled | 0 Impacts | 0 Hours