Graycliff’s guided tour program is led by a group of enthusiastic volunteer docents who uniquely interpret our historic site. Our docents lead both scheduled publicly-available tours, as well as group and school tours. Graycliff docents present our lakeside property to visitors, animating the many stories of this very special place. Volunteering in this capacity is an excellent opportunity to learn all about Frank Lloyd Wright, Ellen Biddle Shipman, the Martin family, and the specific context of Graycliff. You'll perfect skills you already have, while developing new ones, and join a community of talented and passionate individuals. We are confident you will be inspired and enchanted by Graycliff and have a lot of fun along the way!
Training to Be a Graycliff Docent
Our docent training is open to anyone with a passion for architecture and history! Docent trainees are required to attend our docent training classes, which are a mix of both in-person and online meetings led by a knowledgeable and enthusiastic volunteer leadership team who give ample support and encouragement along the way. Trainees are directed to reading materials and provided with in-depth information on the history of our site. Along with the classes, trainees also fulfill requirements related to both shadowing and giving mock tours before being certified as a Graycliff Docent.
Our goal is that upon completion of the Graycliff Docent Training Program, docent trainees will have the knowledge and confidence to present the stories of Graycliff in their own unique way to the many visitors to our historic site.
Please fill out this application by March 1st, 2023
- Must be at least 18
- Must attend training sessions listed below:
2023 Class Schedule:
- Tuesday, March 14, 6-8 pm (in-person at Graycliff)
- Tuesday, March 21 – NO CLASS
- Tuesday, March 28, 6-8 pm (Zoom)
- Tuesday, April 4, 6-8 pm (in-person at Graycliff)
- Tuesday, April 11, 6-8 pm (Zoom)
- Saturday, April 15, 9:30-11:30 am (Trainee Field Trip to the Martin House)
- Tuesday, April 18, 6-8 pm (in-person at Graycliff)
- Tuesday, April 25, 6-8 pm (in-person at Graycliff)