Rescue Rebuild is preparing to head to the South Florida Wildlife Center (SFWC) in Fort Lauderdale, FL, and we need your help! There will be more details added to this project when they become available. If you sign up to be on this interest list, you will receive a notification when we announce the exact volunteer dates. This way, you will get the first opportunity to sign up for the dates you prefer.
No construction experience is necessary; Rescue Rebuild is more than happy to teach you all you will need to know!
Greater Good Charities Rescue Rebuild program is planning this project due to the important role of the SFWC to wildlife in Florida. 99% of the county is built up and that means very limited green spaces are still available. With the elimination of these natural spaces not only all over the county but also in the United States, facilities like the SFWCr are becoming increasingly vital to wildlife’s survival.
To help the SFWC accomplish their goals, we will be:
- Renovating an existing enclosure to make it suitable for Gopher Tortoise rehabilitation
- Completing their existing squirrel enclosure
- Building a roof over their shorebird enclosure
- Constructing new aviary mews for the young bird nursery
Currently, our estimated volunteer dates for the project are: November 2023
The nature of the work we will be doing will vary, and could change before the project begins, but here are some of the tasks to be expected:
- Digging and installing dig prevention in the ground
- Moving sand into enclosures
- Landscaping around and inside the enclosure to create habitat
- Building a visual barrier
- Installing wire to keep animal in their enclosre
- Cleaning and repairing existing nesting boxes
- Building new squirrel nesting boxes
- Assisting with roof construction
- Measure and cutting various materials
- Installing animal enrichment
- And MORE!