Knowledge is Powerful in Literacy (KPL) Program is a two day per week, after school program that focuses on academic and social/emotional development. Students participate in educational activities that enhance proficiency in areas such as reading, communication, financial literacy, and STEAM. Students also participate in field trips to have an interactive learning experience in history and STEAM. The goal of this program is to equip students with skills that accelerate their journey to success.
Research supports that students learning acceleration needs to be supported with a literacy program focused on building vocabulary, fluency, and comprehension. Stronger vocabulary understanding is directly related to higher reading proficiency. Underdeveloped vocabulary acquisition is responsible for 70% of reading comprehension challenges among students in grades K to 5.
In addition to literacy development, students will participate in financial literacy programming once a week through standardized curriculum and/or community partnerships. Students will observe presentations from staff and community organizations, in the fields of Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts and Math.
All volunteers are required to have a background check. If you don't have a background check our organization will provide you with the information to receive a background check to work with our students.
- Responsible for working with their assigned student on the learning platforms provided.
- Implementing a variety of student instructional activities that will be provided.
- Responsible for behavior management of students assigned to you. Student ratio will be a maximum of 1:4.
- Follows daily time schedule – Monday and Wednesday 4:00 pm – 6:00 pm.
- Knowledge of and follows the site safety procedures.
- Attends and participates in orientation and required training sessions.
|Knowledge is Powerful in Literacy After School Program