The Woonasquatucket River Watershed Council (WRWC) is seeking an Environmental Bike Camp Counselor for the Red Shed’s summer Bike Camp. For over 10 years, the WRWC has delivered environmental educational programming to youth and adults in the effort to revitalize the Woonasquatucket River and its surrounding neighborhoods.
Bike camp is held at the Red Shed Bike Shop in Riverside Park, 50 Aleppo Street, Providence, RI for youth ages 8-13 years old. Every day includes lessons in bike mechanics, safe riding, environmental education and group rides.
Time commitment: June 26th to August 18th, Monday-Friday 8:30AM – 3:30PM with camp training taking place the week of June 19th.
Compensation: Preference would go to an internship for credit or a Brown University LINK/SEW Award; however, we would consider a work-study or stipend arrangement.
· Train with and report to Bike Camp Director;
· Assist with all aspects of the WRWC’s Bike Camp programming including curricula review, revision and expansion;
· Teach and assist with teaching scheduled environmental games and lessons using existing curriculum;
· Assist with procurement of all program supplies;
· Learn and assist with teaching how to ride, basic bike mechanics, and safe riding skills.
· Courses taken in Education, Environmental Studies and/or Health and Wellness;
· Be in pursuance of an educational or environmental career;
· Comfortable working with a diverse group of people;
· Excellent communication skills;
· Excellent people skills;
· Provide at least two professional references;
· Clean BCI check;
· Must take concussion training and safe riding training (can do on job);
· Must be able to ride a bike competently;
· Enjoy working with children;
· Can transport self reliably within Providence.
Preferred qualifications (not required):
· Experience with environmental or science education;
· Some Spanish language skills;
· Enjoy riding a bike;
· Experience working within a diverse community.
|Causes||Children & Youth Education Environment Sports & Recreation|
|Skills||Mentoring Communications Nutrition Learning/Education Child Care Recreational Activities|