WRWC Background: The mission of the Woonasquatucket River Watershed Council (WRWC) is to encourage, support and promote the restoration and preservation of the Woonasquatucket River Watershed as an environmental, recreational, cultural, and economic asset of the State of Rhode Island.
Position Description: The Woonasquatucket River Watershed Council (WRWC) is seeking a creative, detail-oriented person with strong communications and graphic design skills to assist the Director of Development & Executive Director. This opportunity will provide valuable experience working on a variety of projects including helping to organize and run our two key fundraisers, the Clean Days on the Greenway & 8th Annual Woony River Ride. It will include communicating with the press, public, through the web and social media, as well as helping to organize the volunteer events committee. You will work directly with the Director of Development, Executive Director, the Woony Ride Committee, and staff.
Clean Days on the Greenway Background: The Greenway Program kicks off its annual activities each spring by inviting volunteers, sponsors, and community members out to join the River Rangers at the Clean Days on the Greenway Kickoff event. Hundreds of volunteers willing to begin sprucing up the greenway after the snows have melted join the WRWC. Volunteers dig into spring weeding and mulching, in-water cleanups, shoreline litter pickups, a variety of painting and graffiti removal projects, and more! The kickoff event concludes with a big volunteer thank you party and invitation to continue helping out in the Clean Days Series. Join us to help clean and beautify the Woonasquatucket River and Greenway Bike Path! It will be held on Saturday April 22nd.
Woony River Ride Background: 2017 is the 8th Annual Woony River Ride. The Woony River Ride is the largest annual fundraising event that the Woonasquatucket River Watershed Council hosts. This bike-a-thon begins and ends in downtown Providence. Five lengths of rides are offered, along with a 5-mile walk. The ride spans city, town and rural routes. The Woony Ride ends with a big after party with live music, great food, local beer and awesome prizes for fundraisers. It will be held on Saturday September 16th.
Location: 45 Eagle Square, Suite 202, Providence, RI 02909
Time Commitment: Part-time, 15 – 20 hours per week, flexible schedule. Must be able to attend evening meetings. Additional special event dates may be requested as event calendar fills. Starting immediately and highly encourage going through September 30, 2017.
Compensation: $10.00 per hour and the WRWC is willing to fill out necessary paperwork for intern to earn a Brown University LINK/SEW Award or academic credit through their college or university if the school offers such opportunities.
Responsibilities: The Event/ Marketing Intern will:
• Assist graphic designer with developing printed materials such as constant contacts, brochures, fliers and posters.
• Assist with updating content on web communications such as the WRWC website, constant contact, active network and social media.
• Help promote the events through press, radio, television, web, direct mail and social media.
• Communicate with event participants.
• Assist with researching and communicating with potential sponsor candidates.
• Help develop new revenue streams for the events.
• Help organize and communicate with volunteer event committee and managing subcommittees – sponsorship, logistics and promotion.
• Assist with planning, logistics and implementation of the events.
• Strong interest in marketing, events and non-profit communication.
• Ability to work independently and juggle multiple tasks at once.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills, including ability to take initiative and perform follow up.
• High level of comfort communicating with all kinds of people – volunteers, town staff, potential sponsors, press.
• Excellent computer skills.
• Possess a friendly, outgoing personality.
• At least two years of undergraduate work completed.
• Experience organizing events.
• Experience with or willingness to learn web programs such as Dreamweaver, Firstgiving and Constant Contact.
• Experience working with press.
• Familiarity with Windows and Microsoft Office standard applications.
• Ability to earn academic credit through your college or university.
Requirements: Dependable transportation to and from WRWC office. Physically able to lift 20 lbs. and do a lot of walking.
Application Instructions: Please email your resume, cover letter and availability to firstname.lastname@example.org.