Project Safe, Inc.
Program: Breaking Silence: Shelter & Outreach Programs
Location: Athens, GA
Time Commitment: 3-4 months; Minimum of 20 hrs/week M-F
Project Safe is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization in Athens, Ga., working to end domestic violence through prevention and education, crisis intervention, ongoing supportive services, and systems change advocacy.
Project Safe is seeking an intern interested in providing community awareness and education to youth in the Athens area. The intern will assist Project Safe’s Youth Educator/Advocate in systematically reaching out to key agencies in order to prevent dating violence among youth.
- Participate in comprehensive training on dynamics of domestic violence and preparing intern to present valuable information to young audiences and/or parents.
- Work with staff to develop presentation and educational materials.
- Coordinate and present Breaking Silence presentations working to prevent dating violence with key youth groups, school classrooms K-12th grade, social service agencies, etc.
- Research trends in intimate partner violence, particularly teen dating violence and policies, laws, prevention programs, etc.
- Maintain Breaking Silence social media outlets: Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and website.
- Assist Youth Educator/Advocate with implementation and maintenance of the Student Ambassador Program, including facilitating monthly meetings at local middle and high schools
- Direct involvement and organization of school and community events for Prevention of Teen Dating Violence
- Documenting all presentations and brochures distributions
- Promote Breaking Silence Teen Text line at community events and Project Safe’s fundraising events.
- Assisting staff in updating a training manual for operation of teen texting line.
- Assisting with coverage of Project Safe’s emergency shelter during daytime hours. Coverage may include assisting residents, managing the crisis hotline, answering the business telephone line, offering conflict resolution as needed, and providing direction in the event of an emergency.
- Answer teen texting line on an on call rotation, one week at a time and document services provided.
- Strong public speaking skills
- Open, flexible schedule
- Fourth-year undergrad or grad student
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills
- Ability to improvise during youth presentations
Deadline: March 1, 2020
Send resume and cover letter detailing areas of interest and availability, along with contact information for two professional/academic references to:
Community Involvement & Volunteer Coordinator