This event has ended. Click Here to see more upcoming events from River City Youth Foundation!
|Close Date||October 28th, 2012 or when space runs out.|
|Age Limit||All Ages|
Join us for the next TechComunidad in southeast Austin’s Dove Springs.
TechComunidad seeks student clubs, churches, industry associations, tech
professionals, and anyone passionate about putting the power of technology
into the hands of low-income youth and families that need it the most.
When is TechComunidad™ Dove Springs?
Saturday, October 27, 2012
at River City Youth Foundation, 5209 S. Pleasant Valley in Dove Springs
Families attend 8am-5 p.m.
Volunteer times vary.
What is TechComunidad?
• TechComunidad delivers the power of technology to the doorsteps of the people in a community.
• TechComunidad graduates receive 3 things:
The Confidence, The Basic Skills, and A Tech Product to immediately use technology to improve their education, health, and the overall quality of their lives and their community
Hundreds of pre-selected families begin a new way of life by participating in a daylong bilingual digital technology event where parents learn computer basics and hundreds of youth learn hands-on technology skills and the path to getting good jobs. Featured activities include:
• Spanish language and bilingual topics ranging from social media and video production to wi-fi apps and video gaming.
• Culturally relevant life sessions on STEM careers, college readiness, and scholarships.
• Hands-on, interactive demonstrations on how technology integrates with
daily life around education, health, and government
• Parents that complete TechComunidad receive a FREE laptop or tablet and
continue several months of follow up technology training.
TechComunidad aims to give parents the tools and confidence to successfully guide their children’s education from pre-K to college and career. Southeast Austin’s Dove Springs is Austin’s largest populated youth community where one of every two households does not have technology access.
How Can You Help?
• Be a Volunteer (there are lots of ways to help, everything from set up, serving an instructor assistant, being a family guide, helping the IT team, and more). We also have a great need for Spanish speakers.
• Attend TechComunidad as a Service Project for Your Organization
• Sponsor a Family’s Computer Start-Up Package
• Distribute this message to your friends, colleagues, and email lists
• Help Spread the Word on Twitter (@techcomunidad) and Facebook (TechComunidad).
Where to Sign Up?
Please fill out the Online Volunteer form at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dHVsdHhrNklYYzJNRW56dHloZ1R3RlE6MQ
You can also access this link at the website www.TechComunidad.com
To see photos and video of prior TechComunidad events and to learn more, visit www.TechComunidad.com. After signing up, you’ll receive communication on
next steps to get prepared to volunteer for the event. Organizers will match your skills in the best way to serve. Your role is appreciated. Please email today to discuss how you can make a difference in Austin’s fastest-growing youth community!
Can My Group Participate?
Student, professional or civic associations may register as a group to help
at TechComunidad. A lead person in the group will need to register the
team. Organizers will work on finding volunteer activities that the team can
do as a group.
Need More Information?
For any other questions or requests, please email email@example.com.
Interested in a Sponsorship?
To receive a sponsor packet for TechComunidad, please email
TechComunidad Dove Springs is presented by River City Youth Foundation’s
Wired & Inspired Neighborhood (WIN) Program,
a Dell Powering the Possible program.
|Parking Details||Parking provided at Mendez Middle School (5701 S. Pleasant Valley Rd. 78744) with shuttle to RCYF.|
0 Positions Filled | 2 Impacts | 10 Hours