This has ended. Click Here to see more upcoming events from DownCity Design!
|Close Date||Any time before the event ends or when space runs out.|
Currently, DCD is searching for a Design Teaching Assistant that shares this vision to assist with our
upcoming summer youth programs. This TA will partner with an experienced Design Educator from
DownCity Design to implement project-based curricula that support youth in designing and building a
structure to improve Providence. The Design Teaching Assistant will provide support for our instructors
throughout the program by assisting students throughout the design and build process.
The ideal candidate will have a strong commitment to design education and feel comfortable working
with young people from diverse backgrounds, as well as working with construction tools. He or she will
have excellent communication skills and a positive attitude, and will be extremely reliable.
Location: DownCity Design (425 West Fountain St, Providence) and offsite locations
Dates and Times: June 19 – Aug. 11, 2017; 25-30 hours per week
Qualified candidates will have:
• Solid design skills and preferably experience with design/build projects
• Comfort with construction techniques and safe tool use
• Experience working with elementary, middle or high school students
• Openness to creative collaboration and working as a team
• Excitement about project-based learning and social practice
Duties and Responsibilities:
Design Teaching Assistant will be expected to:
• Help Design Educator with planning and coordination of activities and lessons
• Assist with instruction for each class, working one-on-one with students to support their
• Monitor the use of proper safety techniques when students are using tools and equipment.
• Assist with preparing classrooms for each day’s activities.
• Maintain storage and upkeep of class supplies and equipment, and make sure the classrooms
are left clean at the end of each day.
• Track student attendance
• Perform other responsibilities, as needed, to help the program run smoothly.
• Obtain an FBI fingerprint BCI (criminal background) check at the Police Department, 325
Washington Street and submit to DownCity Design prior to program start date. The check is free
for Providence residents. Call 243-6185 to schedule an appointment.
0 Positions Filled | 0 Impacts | 0 Hours