Put a smile on a child's face and make a difference in the community. Become a volunteer at the Madison Children's Museum!
Anyone 8 years or older can volunteer at MCM. Minors 8-12 years old must be accompanied by a caregiver; anyone 13 years and older can volunteer on their own.
Please be sure to fill out all the fields of the application below.
- Submit application for volunteering
- Once all forms have been submitted, processed, and if the applicant is deemed a good fit for volunteering at MCM, the Volunteer Coordinator will contact the potential volunteer to schedule an informational interview.
- Once the informational interview is completed, the volunteer must attend a training in their chosen Exhibit Space and the monthly General Orientation. Dates for these trainings will be provided during the informational interview. Both Exhibit training and the General Orientation must be completed before the volunteer's first shift.
Individual Youth, Adult, and Family Volunteer Opportunities: All volunteer shifts are filled on a first-come, first-served basis.
Museum Fellow: work in the public spaces of the museum and facilitate visitors in exhibits and at special events and programs.
- Possible-opolis: building, design, and large motor activities
- Wildernest: Early Learning Gallery for ages birth to 5
- Art Studio: drop-in art studio for all ages
- Rooftop Ramble: four season outdoor space with gardens and live animals
Special Event Volunteer:
- Adult Swim: Friday night event series; volunteers must be ages 21 & up
- Special events: family events on Saturdays & Sundays
- Free Family Night: First Wednesday of each month 5-8 pm
- Camps: available summer season and during MMSD winter/spring breaks
Behind the Scenes Volunteer
: assist with administrative office work and event support.
*If you are the point of contact for a group/organization, please contact the Volunteer Services Coordinator directly for more information and group onboarding requirements. Please don’t fill out an application.
- Photography: take photos at special events; shifts available weekdays, evenings, and weekends.
- Administrative: work on office tasks. Shifts available M-F between 9:30 am and 5 pm.