Important Information – Please Read
- All volunteers must wear closed-toe shoes. This is mandatory.
- It is possible you will be working in our cooler on Wednesday evenings and Saturdays, so it is advisable to bring a long sleeve shirt or jacket in case you need it.
- If you cannot make your volunteer shift or the size of your group changes significantly, please let us know as soon as possible. Space is limited and we are counting on you to arrive at your shift so we can get foodto people in need as quickly as possible.
- Please arrive at least 10 minutes before your shift starts to that you have adequate time to check in.
San Antonio Food Bank Location, Parking and Check In
- We are located at 5200 Enrique M. Barrera Pkwy, San Antonio, TX 78227. It is the intersection of Old Highway 90 and Highway 151. Animal Care Services is our neighbor.
- Parking is available for volunteers in front of our building. Please let us notify us at least three days in advance if you need special arrangements for buses or large groups.
- Please come to the volunteer entrance, which is halfway down the building on the side facing Highway 151. Look for an exterior staircase in front of glass doors and windows.
Warehouse Shift Duties
While volunteering in the Warehouse, you may perform the following duties:
- Sorting dry, frozen, and non-edible products and placing them in appropriate bins or boxes.
- Inspecting product for signs of contamination, opened packages, and spoilage.
- Assisting in checking expiration dates of product as instructed.
- Other warehouse duties include, but are not limited to: sweeping, trash pickup, mopping, cleaning.
- We welcome volunteers of all ages. Please keep in mind that some projects may be labor intensive and require the ability to comprehend that task at hand.
- Volunteers under the age of 16 must be accompanied by an adult at ALL times. Volunteers 16 years old or older may volunteer without adult supervision.
- For groups, we require 1 adult chaperone for every 5 volunteers under the age of 16.
- Shoes: Due to safety concerns all volunteers must wear closed-toe shoes. No heels, sandals or flip flops.
- Attire: Please dress appropriate to work in a warehouse environment (jeans, t-shirt, appropriate shorts). No low-cut shirts, tank tops or short/running shorts.
- Jackets and Sweaters: In order to maintain product integrity, frozen food projects will take place in a cooler. It is advised that volunteers bring a jacket or sweater.
- Please bring only what you need. The Food Bank is not responsible for anything that is lost or stolen.