AmeriCorps members at Porter-Leath follow a rich history of achieving meaningful outcomes for thousands in Memphis and Shelby County.
Over 20 AmeriCorps members spend their service year in Porter-Leath Preschools each year. Members directly serve in the classrooms and providing enrichment activities focused on literacy skills. The impact of the AmeriCorps investment will reach children in the center by providing activities that spur lessons to promote literacy and school readiness. Members prepare and lead children in activities that focus on the domains of phonological awareness, print awareness, early writing, and alphabet knowledge. By focusing on the individual needs of students, readiness scores increase, resulting in stronger classrooms and children with higher self-esteem. To learn more about becoming an AmeriCorps member at Porter-Leath, contact Chastiney Phifer at 901-577-2500 x 1182.
- Be a United States citizen, U.S.
National, or lawful permanent
resident alien of the United States
- Be at least 18 years of age; and
- Have a high school diploma or
- Pass a Criminal Record Check
- Commit to one year of service.
- Complete 1,740 hours of service
during the year.
- Have Reliable transportation.
- Able to serve 37.5 hours per week.
- Individuals pursuing a professional
career in early childhood education,
development, or family services
- Education, Social Service, Youth or
Child Development major
- 3.0 GPA in major, minimum 2.5 GPA
- Completion of entry level collegiate
- Enrollment in all major or
professional field-related courses.
- Experience serving inner city
residents, students, or families.
- Background as an academic tutor or mentor
2 Positions Filled | 0 Impacts | 0 Hours