Support Austin ISD students by becoming a mentor! APIE mentors work one-on-one with students during the school day. They help students improve their social and study skills, strengthen their communication skills, and build self-confidence. They inspire children to develop new interests, explore career possibilities, and achieve their personal and academic goals. Mentors may choose to work at any Austin ISD school with a student at the grade level of their choice (K-12).
APIE mentors should be:
- Positive, caring adults
- Able to commit to 45 minutes to an hour a week (typically during the student’s lunch period) to meet with the student consistently throughout the school year
- Non-judgmental and supportive
- Good listeners
- Willing to submit to a background check
APIE mentors receive:
- Initial mentor training (one hour session, required before meeting with student)
- Introduction to supportive strategies to use with students in building effective mentor relationships
- Support from an on-campus mentor coordinator
Be who you NEEDED when you were younger. We are currently recruiting and training mentors and need YOU.