This event has been cancelled.
Northside American Federation of Teachers and AFL-CIO Bexar Co. are seeking Jaguars who are willing to volunteer at their Citizenship Clinic on Dec. 8th from 10:00-2:00 p.m. (training will happen at 8:30 am.) at Oblate Grotto Ministries in the white building that houses the Gift Center.
If you cannot stay the entire time but would like to volunteer for a couple of hours, please contact Claudia (firstname.lastname@example.org) directly.
Tacos, coffee, orange juice will be served and a boxed lunch will be provided.
Students will be asked to do one of the following jobs:
1) Register applicants who come in.
2) Register Volunteers
3) Take passport photos, using an APP on their smartphones and print on our machine, cut, follow instructions from training.
4) Enter INS form information into the online form. We provide the Chrome Books.
5) Make copies of Green Cards, Marriage Licenses and other documents
6) Direct participants through to the correct stations
7) Run questions over to attorneys
8) Translate or converse with participants in Spanish for explanation or question answering
9) Help with packaging and exit station
10) Help play with children in the children's corner
Finally, simply to assist wherever we need a person to help with order and organization of traffic. We will have attorneys pre-screening applications and speaking with participants, there will be final screeners available after the pre-screen. There will be a photo passport station where applicants must register and wait in line for their photo to be taken. From there they head over to the Form Entry station where a volunteer will enter information from the paper form applicants did for homework into the internet form. From this station they must speak with an immigration attorney who will do a final review of their application and documents are photocopied. This requires participants to wait in line until attorneys are able to assist them. Finally, all finalized applications go to the Packet and Exit center where someone will speak to them about how to mail the packet with their $725.00 cashier's check or money order to the INS.
This process normally costs Permanent Residents anywhere from $1500-$3000 to hire an attorney to help them go through this process. This opportunity is allowing us to provide this service to them for free. You are part of being able to offer this service to the community and we thank you in advance!
0 Positions Filled | 0 Impacts | 0 Hours