Center for Latin American and Caribbean Studies (CLACS)
Adult Literacy Program
St. John’s University
8000 Utopia Parkway
Queens, NY 11439
For this site please sign up on GivePulse to schedule your service.
Nature and purpose of agency
This program, in tune with St. John’s Vincentian mission, will assist adults of all ethnic backgrounds to become literate in English and other disciplines in order to obtain the necessary skills to secure better employment, become self-sufficient, and pursue further education. This program meets the need of thousands of New Yorkers, especially in Queens.
Tasks available for students
Students will work with the instructors and the adult students. They will work one on one and in small groups to assist the adult students under the guidance of the instructor with basic educational skills in literacy, writing, mathematics, history, ESL, and GED preparation.
All classes meet 6:30pm-9:30pm.
Please see below for classroom locations:
Monday: Basic 2 St. John's Hall 111A
Tuesday: Basic 1 St. John's Hall 112
Basic 2 St. John's Hall 109B
Wednesday: Basic 1 St. John's Hall 111A
Basic 2 St. John's Hall 111B
Thursday: Basic 1 St. John's Hall 109A
Student awareness/special instructions
STUDENTS MUST SIGN UP FOR THREE CLASSES AT LEAST FOR A TOTAL OF 9 HOURS OF SERVICE FOR THIS ORGANIZATION. This is the minimum requirement.
VOLUNTEER GUIDELINES – ADULT LITERACY PROGRAM
- Please make sure you volunteer all your assigned hours. Instructors and students count on you.
- If you are sick or unable to help out on a particular day make sure you notify Career Services and CLACS.
- Please make sure to ask all students to fill out the Intake forms.
- The intake forms need to be signed, so make sure they are signed.
- If a student is new to the program they need to be given a pretest. Please ask the instructors about the pretest and guide the new students on how to take the test.
- If the student does not speak very good English you can ask for help from the student helpers (Lesly on Wednesdays and Thursdays)
- You can pick a master copy of the Intake form pointing out the information that needs to fill out at the CLACS office. (St John’s Hall B7)
- Make sure to remind the students to sign the attendance sheet.
- If the student seems to be lost or confused due to the deficiency in the English language, feel free to reach out and help with any questions they may have, or refer them to the instructor.
- If the instructor needs help with any specific task please assist them.
- If the student comes in late encourage them to catch up with the class and let him/her know he/she is welcome in class even if they are late.