Interfaith Nutrition Network
The Mary Brennan INN
100 Madison Ave.
Hempstead, NY 11550
For this site please register via The INN's website at https://interland3.donorperfect.net/weblink/weblink.aspx?name=E11463&id=2 . You will then be contacted to process your request. Be sure to register your hours in GivePulse once complete.
All volunteers must complete the screening process*
Manager of Volunteer Services
Michelle Singh (contact first)
(516) 486-8506 ext. 143
(516) 486-6243 ext. 115
Nature and Purpose of Agency
To assist hungry and homeless Long Islanders in need of basic human services, food, clothing and emergency housing in a dignified manner.
Tasks Available for Students
· Assist in preparing, serving and clean-up of meal;
· Shifts vary in different soup kitchens.
· Stock and inventory pantry.
· Sort clothing and help distribute during meal time.
· Bag groceries or personal care items for distribution to guests.
· Office Support
· General office work; e.g. answering phones, typing, stuffing envelopes, assist in organizing volunteers for group events.
· Holiday time — volunteers may be needed for different projects.
Monday through Friday: 8:30 to 2:00 PM: Serving food in the soup kitchen
Monday through Friday: 2:00 to 5:00 PM: Sorting food and other donated items
Student Awareness/Special Instructions
Direction to the Mary Brennan INN - Southern State Pkwy: Take Southern State to exit 19 north, (this will place you on Peninsula Blvd.) Go 3 lights down Peninsula Blvd. (stay to the left). On the 3rd light, make a left on President street. Go down President Street for 2 lights. On the 2nd light, (Madison Ave) make a right. Go down Madison Ave. 2 blocks. On your right you will see the Mary Brennan INN.
Take Hempstead Tpke. North (Hempstead Tpke turns into Fulton Ave). Go to Franklin Ave. and Make a left at the light. Take Franklin Ave. to Peninsula Blvd. (Stay to your right). There will be a Hess Gas station on your right. Take Peninsula Blvd 2 blocks. Make a right on Madison Ave. We are the 3rd building for the corner on your left hand side.
NC 07/05/18 SB
While our motives and goals are the same, the most important fact is that we (staff and volunteers) understand and agree with the philosophy of The INN; and in this understanding and agreement we know (1) we treat our guests with dignity and respect; (2) we have a no questions asked policy; and (3) we have a non-judgmental attitude about how much any one guest is permitted to take.
The reason for this non-judgmental attitude is because (1) we know that no one wants to have to come to a soup kitchen but guests come because they have a need and hope they can get that need met at Mary Brennan INN; (2) we never know the exact situation(s) of most of our guests; (3) there is a possibility that the guest is getting clothes and/or other items for a neighbor who is not ready to come inside the soup kitchen yet, may be sick, or just unable to get there at all.
We hope you can understand, but most of all, respect our philosophy. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us at (516) 486-8506 ext. 107 or ext. 115.
Volunteer shift is from 8:30-2:00
(No partial shifts permitted)
Mary Brennan INN
100 Madison Avenue
Hempstead, NY 11550
GUIDELINES FOR VOLUNTEERS
1. DRESS CODE: Volunteers must be appropriately attired in clean, comfortable clothing. The following are not permitted: short skirts, shorts, rip-styled pants, midriffs, see-through and sleeveless tops; tight-fitting clothing of any kind, clothing advertising alcohol, tobacco or other potentially offensive graphic art/writing, flip-flops and sandals.
Mary Brennan INN volunteers must wear close-toed shoes, a head covering and a clean apron.
2. Enter the building through the side door via the parking lot. Please do not enter through the large glass doors in the front of the building as this entrance is reserved for use by guests only, except in emergency. Please check in with the day's Volunteer Coordinator or a manager upon arrival so that your attendance and participation are recorded. You will need to prepare and wear a name tag.
3. Please refrain from the use and/or possession of drugs, alcohol, weapons and pornographic material as these are prohibited on or around our premises. Profanity, horseplay, immoral attitudes and practices are also unacceptable. Smoking on or around the premises is also prohibited. Weapons are prohibited on the premises.
4. If you are unable to volunteer on your scheduled day, please contact the Volunteer Manager at (516) 486-8506 ext. 143.
5. If you are ill, please do not attend. If you are unable to volunteer on your scheduled day, please contact the Volunteer Manager at (516) 486-8506 ext. 143 or firstname.lastname@example.org .
6. In the spirit of volunteerism, volunteers must be flexible to assist in any area as needed/directed. Volunteers must be able to lift 25 pounds.
7. It is our belief that anyone who uses the services we provide, is a guest. When interacting with guests: a. Be courteous and respectful at all times. At no time is a volunteer allowed to be rude or judgmental to a guest even if that guest has been rude to them. b. Treat all guest information as confidential and exercise care when responding to requests from guests. c. In keeping with our mission and philosophy, we aim to feed those who are hungry in a Safe, Clean, Caring Environment with NO QUESTIONS ASKED.
8. It is the policy of The INN to provide an environment that is free from harassment and from offensive and degrading remarks and conduct for all individuals. Therefore, offensive behavior, including harassment, at our facility or at any INN-sponsored functions will not be tolerated. Violation of this policy will be subject to appropriate disciplinary action which may include dismissal/termination of your volunteer services.
a. Definition and Examples: A behavior that is inappropriate and offensive has the potential of being perceived as harassment. Harassment may include verbal or physical conduct that shows hostility or dislike towards an individual because of the individual's race, creed, religion, age, gender, national origin sexual orientation, marital status, disability, veteran status, or status with regard to public assistance. Harassment may include but is not limited to: Slurs, negative stereotyping threats intimidation, hostile acts, condescending or hostile written or graphic material posted or circulated at The Mary Brennan INN. Supervisors are responsible for acting promptly and treating as serious all situations in which they observe or are advised of inappropriate and offensive behavior.
9. All volunteers are asked to respect the privacy of our guests. Photographing of guests is strictly prohibited. However, photos of your volunteer group may be taken in the lounge area, kitchen area, or pantry area.
10. ALL volunteers MUST be 16 years of age. No one under the age of 16 is permitted to be in the facility from 8:30 am -2:00 pm. Persons under 16 (ages 10-15) may volunteer from 2:00 pm -4:30 (scheduling is required).
Updated 6/27/19 DM
11 People | 11 Impacts | 54 Hours