JASA: Jewish Association for Services for the Aged Senior Centers (Queens, Manhattan, Bronx, & Brooklyn)
For this site please contact the site supervisor listed below to schedule your service. Be sure to register your hours in GivePulse once complete.
Joanna Ewen, Volunteer Services
212-273 5211/ email@example.com (contact first)
Amelia Soto, Holliswood Senior Center
718-454-6157/ firstname.lastname@example.org (Note: only contact Ms. Soto after speaking with Volunteer Services)
Nature and Purpose of Agency
JASA's mission is to sustain and enrich the lives of the aging in the New York metropolitan area so that they can remain in the community with dignity and autonomy. JASA operates 25 senior centers throughout the greater NYC area, and also provides other support services for seniors.
Tasks Available for Students
A wide variety of activities are available, and vary by location. Examples include:
· Providing support with daily sign in and registration
· Administrative assistance including filing, phone calls and computer work
· Preparing tables for lunch service
· Teaching computer classes
· Assisting at Senior Center parties
· Leading or assisting with social/recreational activities (bingo, crafts, etc.)
· Conversing with seniors in the seniors' native languages (Russian, Chinese, etc.)
· Leading a current events discussion group
· Sharing a talent – play an instrument, sing, or dance
Student Awareness/Special Instructions
Students should contact Joanna Ewen at email@example.com to schedule their service. You will be sent a volunteer application that you will need to fill out and send back via email before serving. Please specify the center where you would like to serve in your email. You must schedule your service in advance. Please allow 1-2 weeks.
Flexible; Centers are open Monday-Friday 9:00-3:00 p.m.
Space is limited at JASA locations. They can accommodate one student a day.
Queens JASA Centers
JASA Holliswood Senior Center (the Center closest to campus)
JASA Roy Reuther Senior Center
JASA Rockaway Park Senior Center
JASA Brookdale Village Senior Center
131 Beach 19th Street
Far Rockaway, NY 1169
Updated 6/25/19 DM
15 People | 14 Impacts | 71 Hours