- A food desert surrounds EVMS
- A knowledge gap exists relating to good nutrition and exercise
- Diabetes II Prevalence in Eastern Virginia=14.5%
- National Prevalence = 9.6%
- Low (Colorado) = 6.3%
- Previous CHOW leaders developed a framework for nutrition and exercise classes using evidence based materials from the American Heart Association (AHA).
- Community members are given free cooking classes and health education focused on balanced diet and diabetes education.
- 8–15 students per cohort
- Students lead a 2 hour fitness and nutrition class monthly at both Young Terrace Community Center and Chesapeake Care Clinic
- CHOW hosts a Healthy Treat Table at the Haunted Hallway EVMS event
100 People | 446 Impacts | 626 Hours