- Local Bystander CPR assist rate: 12%
- National Rate: 32%
- Norfolk rate of return of spontaneous circulation: 16%
- National average: 34%
- Cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) can greatly improve the odds of neurologically intact survival from cardiac arrest
- Qualify as Bystander CPR instructors, run Bystander CPR and AED training with people in high-risk communities in Norfolk
- Quantify a baseline for awareness and measure the impact of Bystander CPR training locally
Annual Student Activities
- 70-80 students in the initiative thus far.
- Bystander CPR students ride along with Norfolk Fire and Rescue (NFR) personnel—first-hand challenges experience.
- Over 2,000 Community Members trained, over 1,000 responding to knowledge surveys.
- Norfolk City Hall employee trained by EVMS witnessed an arrest, responded, and saved a life the day after our Bystander CPR training.
- Research recently accepted to the American Heart Association Scientific Sessions Conference.
- Helped to increase Bystander CPR Rate from 12% in 2013 to over 26% today.
69 People | 123 Impacts | 155 Hours