Steps to becoming a VIRTUAL Afterschool Ambassador:
1.Add yourself to this group.
2. Ensure the program is a good fit for you by reviewing the Program Description (below)
3. Ensure that you are able to commit to 1 day of the week for the entire semester (August 31st - December 4th, 2020) from 3:15pm - 5:45pm.
4.Complete the questions in the "Virtual Ambassadors Pre-Registration" event here: https://givepul.se/2kqfup
After you have "Pre-Registered" your submission will be reviewed and you will be assigned your preferred day-of-the-week to serve. You will also be contacted directly to choose a day/time to attend a mandatory Virtual Orientation. Please send an email to email@example.com should you have any questions.
Afterschool Ambassadors are leaders who support the growth and development of youth via the Kids' Nite Afterschool Program at the Yvonne Richardson Community Center (YRCC) through tutoring, program facilitation, and program administration. Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, the YRCC will be offering a virtual program for the Fall 2020 semester. We will be offering VIRTUALLY extracurricular classes, homework and reading assistance, and supervised social time. Kids' Nite this year will serve up to 50 kids, grades K-6th, and Virtual Afterschool Ambassadors will be tasked with providing the same guidance and engagement to the youth they that they would in person. The after school program is designed to engage youth in educational, recreational, and social activities, and with the assistance of VIRTUAL Afterschool Ambassadors, our program will successfully transform the difficulty of distance into an exceptional experience. The YRCC's mission of shaping today's youth for tomorrow's challenges continues to be achieved with the support of our wonderful volunteers.
- Exhibit a genuine concern for working with youth.
- Adhere to all program policies and procedures.
- Must commit to 1 day of the week, for a full 12-week commitment (you choose your preferred day).
- Must be available (to be online) on that day of the week from 3pm-6pm each week.
- Complete the pre-screening survey (to be done as "Pre-registration" questions).
- Attend a mandatory orientation (to be completed BEFORE the program begins).
- Provide a copy of a photo ID (within the "pre-registration" questions).
- Successfully pass a nationwide criminal and sex offender background check (transmitted electronically via the link found in the "pre-registration" questions).
- Log all volunteer hours via Givepulse.
- Lead a small group of kids in conversation using a pre-determined subject matter.
- Oversee online "social time" where the kids can talk to each other while being supervised by an adult to ensure appropriate conversations and kind and inclusive behavior.
- Assist any children who need help with homework or reading.
- Fully participate in the class being offered on the day of the week you are serving (supplies provided).
- Offer feedback and help to the kids as they do the projects and activities.
- Be engaging and find ways to encourage children who are reluctant to participate.
- Serve as a positive role model by modeling desirable behaviors (i.e. patience, initiative, active listening, etc.).
- Be open, sensitive, and accepting to different perspectives, cultures, etc.
- Build youth self-esteem, be supportive, and demonstrate assertiveness.
- Assist in identifying inappropriate online behavior, and be comfortable intervening when necessary.
- Recognize role as a mandated reporter and report any problematic issues to YRCC staff.
- Maintain confidentiality and act in a manner that is consistent with policies and procedures.
- If absent, the Afterschool Ambassador must secure another ambassador or an ambassador on standby and provide YRCC staff with 24 hrs advance notice.
- Complete an end-of-program survey, and provide YRCC staff with constructive feedback.
- Gain transferable skills and work experience to enhance professional profile/resume.
- Enhancement of coaching, leadership, delegation, facilitation, communication, management skills, etc.
- Gain satisfaction resulting from working with youth during formative years of their development.
- Learn to be committed to a cause.
- Identify personal strengths and weaknesses.
- Opportunity for new experiences and meeting new people.
- Increase awareness of community needs and those served.
- Have fun interacting with kids!
- Recognition for service via a Certificate of Completion.
- Recognition via social media spotlight.
- Relevant job or academic references and/or referrals.
- A minimum of 30 hours awarded.