As we're volunteer-run, we can use help with anything that goes on in operations of a nonprofit, and if you have any skills or ideas to offer that are not currently listed as volunteer opportunities, please let a board member know!
The Alliance is a volunteer-run community organization in the Jersey City Heights. Our mission is to preserve the historic structures and natural resources of Jersey City Reservoir #3, establish the site as a public park and wildlife sanctuary, and promote educational and recreational opportunities at the Reservoir. The Alliance watches over the Reservoir – presently it is only partially protected from development. Volunteers conduct tours, run school programs, provide boating and nature events, caretake wildlife and clean up the site, and work with the local and state governments as community representatives.
In order to #SaveJCR3 we need to stay afloat ourselves! We are always looking for volunteers to help with any operational needs, as we lack staff. Students are welcome to volunteer, but minors must be accompanied by an adult. We especially are in need of help with:
Events, Fundraising and Memberships
(Remote & In-person)
While the site may be closed, we're finding new ways to reach out through events elsewhere in Jersey City, and could always use people to help plan and run these!
- Planning fundraising events online and offline
- Finding new donors
- Helping to manage memberships using GivePulse
- Finding other avenues for funding such as grants, corporate asks, etc. (Bonus points if you're comfortable training the rest of us!)
- Teaching or being a social butterfly to rep the Reservoir at events
- Photographing events
Marketing and Public Relations
- Assisting with managing and writing posts for our social media accounts
- Graphic design
- Content creators for our website, newsletter, press releases, op-eds, etc.
Our Digital Archive is grant-funded and is simultaneously helping us better record/track important Jersey City history while also giving us a new resource for educational events and exhibits once the site is open!
- Preserving/curating collections
- Writing labels, titles, and transcriptions for images, audio, etc.
- Collecting artifacts/media from around Jersey City
- Translating any content created by aforementioned volunteers
- Create and evaluate surveys and focus group studies