The Boys & Girls Club of Zionsville helps area youth develop the skills, fitness, and character they need to reach their full potential as productive, caring, and responsible citizens.
History of the Boys & Girls Clubs of America
Boys & Girls Clubs of America had its beginnings in 1860 with several women in Hartford, Conn. Believing that boys who roamed the streets should have a positive alternative, they organized the first Club. A cause was born.
In 1906, several Boys Clubs decided to affiliate. The Federated Boys Clubs in Boston was formed with 53 member organizations.
In 1931, the Boys Club Federation of America became Boys Clubs of America.
In 1956, Boys Clubs of America celebrated its 50th anniversary and received a U.S. Congressional Charter.
To recognize the fact that girls are a part of our cause, the national organization's name was changed to Boys & Girls Clubs of America in 1990. Accordingly, Congress amended and renewed our charter.
Our Local History
The Boys & Girls Club of Zionsville was started in 1983 as part of the Boone County Boys & Girls Club in Lebanon. In 1984 the Club split to form two separate clubs. Concerned citizens saw a need for a place for youth to go after school, during school days off and during school seasonal breaks. They saw the need for a place that was affordable to all families. A place that offered a positive and nurturing environment where kids could learn new skills and development a greater sense of self. A place that was safe for school-aged children and helped them develop into productive citizens. The Boys & Girls Club of Zionsville began in the old Varsity Gym, located at that time on Fifth Street. It moved to its present location on Mulberry Street in 1996. Today the Club serves youth throughout Southeastern Boone County.